04 July 2006

Only in Texas

armadillo_legends

I've really enjoyed myself the past few days. I've been indulging in simple pleasures, and like the small stuff, it's paid off in a general happy attitude.

This past weekend we visited my in-laws. We went swimming on the lake, and got chased out of the water by a snake. Scary. I can handle snakes that are meant to be pets. I can't handle wild ones. We then watched an armadillo frolicking in the front yard before my father-in-law killed it. First time I'd ever seen one that wasn't dead. Didn't last long. They'd be cute if they didn't carry leprosy and rabies.

I actually got to counsel my little sister yesterday. That was so cool. It was an honest to goodness woman-to-woman talk. That also kinda freaks me out, because I still have this vision in my head of her in pigtails asking me to play Barbies with her. Yikes. I feel so honored that she felt like she could talk to me, and that she wanted my opinion. I'm afraid that just made my head get a little bigger.

Today I actually got to go into Williams-Sonoma, shop for a while, and leave with a big bag of goodies with no guilt. This is because this shopping expedition was compliments of my mother-in-law for our anniversary. Thanks, Mom. There was one big thing both the hub-meister and I wanted, so we each got that and then divvied up the rest on little things. We got a sandcastle bundt pan (mine), four mini springform pans for cheesecakes (his), a NICE set of mixing bowls with pour spouts, four spatulas, a multi-purpose scraper like they use at ice cream shops, an egg timer that you leave in the pot with the boiling eggs, and a book on cheesecake recipes. It was astounding.

We then spent quality time with friends this afternoon, which is something we haven't had the time to do in quite a while. What a wonderful way to celebrate the 4th! Thanks to all my friends for good food and good company!

And to top off the evening, I check my friends' blogs on MySpace and find out my great friend and composer Mark is moving back home!!! Which isn't here, but closer to here than where he is. He's now going to be close enough to warrant a visit every now and again for a weekend. I can't wait to see him once things settle down.

I'm off to catch up with the laundry before it takes over my house. I think I've heard my daughter's underwear plotting revenge with my bathrobe, and the mutiny has got to stop! And I need to do the dishes because the hubby has informed me that he's going to scour the kitchen tomorrow to get rid of our ants. And just when we were getting to know each other so well...

:P

Happy Fourth of July!
Oh say can you see
By the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed
At the twilight's last gleaming
Whose broad stripes and bright stars
Through the perilous fight
O'er the ramparts we watched
Were so galantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare
The bombs bursting in air
Gave proof through the night
That our flag was still there
Oh say does that star-spangled banner yet wave?
O'er the land of the free
And the home of the brave?
And one for Texas:
The stars at night, are big and bright
Deep in the heart of Texas!
The prairie sky is wide and high
Deep in the heart of Texas!
The sage in bloom is like perfume
Deep in the heart of Texas!
Reminds me of, the one I love
Deep in the heart of Texas!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Williams Sonoma is a evil succubus that tries to take all my money! I’ve had to wean myself off of it.

Bridget M. said...

Jen -promise me you'll take a picture of the bundt cake and post it after you use the sandcastle pan. I may send you back to WS with money to get one for me!

What a wonderful happy content entry. Glad your weekend was restorative!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a good weekend! My Fourth was pleasant as well.