16 October 2008

Where have all the bands gone?

Or cowboys, whatever...

Is it just me, or have marching bands taken an artistic twist? It's cool that they're playing classics and more contemporary genres, but really...

I'm used to marching bands ENTERTAINING. Most were very... well...

You'd have to be a musician to appreciate what they were playing.

I am, thankfully, but I couldn't help but feel for the people in the football audiences who aren't. I mean, Lizst is something they make before grocery shopping for a tailgate party, not a composer. But maybe I just came from a totally awesome marching band. In high school, our shows were things like the Beatles, Santana, things people would recognize from the stands.

Although band directors are still, very predictably, making the guard run cross-field on a whim. That's a comfort to know that some things never change.

That aside, I really enjoyed all the performances tonight, and I'm endlessly proud of my students. Such good form! Yay!

No comments: