12 September 2008

Prepped

I'm listening to power tools again. This time, it's the sound of all my neighbors boarding up their windows. My husband along with my two best girlfriends' husbands are going around helping because they have an air compressor and a nail gun, which cuts the time down by three-quarters. Bry managed to get the last of the plywood before they shut down Home Depot, and we're keeping the 2 sheets we need and passing the rest out to others that need it.

It's surreal driving through the neighborhood and seeing all the boarded-up houses. Even though it's supposed to get bad here, it seems everyone's prepared, and we were not in an evacuation zone. In fact, they urged us to stay here so the Coast residents wouldn't be hindered in their flight.

We've got ample supply of water, nonperishable food, and the like. The laundry is completed, and all but a small few of the dishes are done. Our mp3 players have radios on them, we've got candles and flashlights, both cars have full gas tanks, and we've got an emergency plan. We're well prepared, so please don't worry about us.

But, keep us and all others in the storm's affecting range in your prayers. It can't hurt. And I know a few people who are a little too calm and a little too nonchalant about it, and I pray for their safety and the safety of their families. I don't intend to run because I think we can weather it out, but we're playing it safe and erring on the side of caution.

As far as I know, no one in our area has left. In fact, traffic was heavier than normal, and Home Depot's parking lot was insane. Our Kroger is ahead of the game and has a constant supply of batteries, toilet paper, canned goods, and ice.

We both have cell phones, and Bry's laptop has wireless. I hopefully will be able to update you after the storm passes if his battery lasts. I'll post here as soon as I can. I know not worrying is a tall order for the Moms, but really, we'll be okay. It will be an experience.

Take care of yourselves, and if you're in the Houston area and reading this, please stay safe this weekend.

Love you all!

No comments: