16 December 2008

Bah humbug?

Why does it seem like every time I turn around there's someone that's seriously injured? I've heard of three reports just this afternoon. It puts a damper on the Christmas season when you have people you know in the hospital.

I'm trying so hard to get into the Christmas spirit. I make sure my radio is tuned to KSBJ so I can listen to Christmas music. I've gone Christmas shopping. I've been planning my Christmas trip. But I'm still not really there.

I love Christmas. It's my favorite holiday. So why does it seem that the past few years I haven't been able to feel it? Is it because I don't decorate?

That's it, I'm splurging on a tree next year. I don't care, I'll save my pennies. I want a really tall one, like the 12-footers. My house can handle it. I want a light-up star and twinkling rainbow lights. I want to drag all my decorations out and wrap my staircase in holly. I want to set out all my cutesy little Christmas things. And I want to do it all while wearing an apron, singing Christmas carols, and baking cookies. Like I did a few years ago. Before the Christmas spirit started evading me.

So, Merry Christmas! I'm going to turn on some carols now and try to find my Zen center in the sparkling world of non-bah-humbuginess.

No comments: