06 August 2006

To Satisfy Your Insatiable Morbid Curiousity

The resounding and unanimous vote was to tell you guys about my horrible night. Weirdos.

Well, Seminar was filled with inspiration, in both the big things and the small. In some cases, the small things made up my mind for the future more than the big things. This is one of the small things.

On our first night at Seminar, we had a formal Christine Peterson Area dinner. My director left to get there early, and I had 15 minutes to get ready and get down there. I had all my underthings on, and felt a little like I was strapped in for a space flight with all the shapewear I had on. I slid the beautiful royal blue gown over my head, and put on my jewelry.

Immediately the brooch on my dress fell off. Dangit!!!

I tried every which way to get that thing back on. I probably would have impressed even MacGyver. But it was no use, it wouldn't go back on. So I left, and turned around halfway down the hall, remembering I was going to a Mary Kay formal dinner and I hadn't put on mascara, blush, or fixed my hair. I also couldn't walk in my shoes with hose on. After taking care of that, I walked out again with makeup and different shoes, only to turn around and go back again for my invitation, since I needed it to get in.

I got downstairs and saw a group of women in formals heading toward a dinner hall. I asked them if this was the Christine Peterson Area Dinner, and they told me yes. They were announcing the consultants as we walked in, like in the old movies. I handed the announcer my card and was announced in. I sat at the special DIQ table and began talking to a girl there. I took pictures of her with her friend, a lady I'd sat with on the bus to the convention center earlier in the day. I mentioned I hadn't seen my Director, or any of the other Directors from my group either, and she replied that they should have been in the line. They weren't. After asking many, many questions, I figured out that this was the Briddle future area dinner, not the Christine Peterson area, even though the girls weren't wrong, since Bridget Briddle is a current National-in-Qualification in the Christine Peterson Area and not quite a National yet. I had to leave, walk back through the line, get my card back, and go find the other Christine Peterson Area Dinner. How humiliating. I had just been introduced with great pomp and circumstance to the wrong Area. I'm sure my face was as red as a lobster.

I finally found the real dinner area, and as I walked up the steps to the entrance to the ballroom, I heard a RIIIIIP. Oh, for crying out loud. My dress had just ripped. It was on the bottom, so I prayed that no one would notice. Dang these 3-inch spike heels!!!

At this point I was more than a little annoyed, but I got in line to enter the room because I was already 15 minutes late. Then some girls came up and jumped in line in front of me. Being on my best MK behavior, I just let it go, even though there were 5 of them that cut, not just one. By this time I was in a bad mood.

Finally I got in and the evening started. It went pretty well after that, except for my Director dragging me (literally) up on the stage with all the other Directors and dance. Wow. I was looking around, making sure no one noticed me onstage, a DIQ pretending to be a Director. Of course, I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb, but no one said anything, even if they did notice.

When I got back to the room, a roommate asked how my dress had gotten ripped. The whole story poured forth, and when I finished, she said (and to get the full effect, this is a current Director that makes what I'd like to be making) "Girl, you're going to be a great Director because I couldn't even tell anything was wrong. You picked up and kept going like a pro."

And that made everything better.

5 comments:

Library Goddess said...

Class. I raised you to have Class. With a capital C. Class...poise...confidence...you've got it all! (Inherited, perhaps?)

Ashley said...

Wow! YOu had a very interesting night didn't you...lol..i am glad it got better though, that is always the best things about a horrible day.. is in the end hopefully someone will bring you a box of chocolates and a dozen roses... Using that as a metaphor but then maybe not.. oooooooooh

Unknown said...

Be glad the rip was somewhere inconspicuous. It could have been very embarrassing. And bravo for not opening a can of whoop-ass on the line cutters.

Anonymous said...

Wow...and yeah out of the list of things to read about...this was the best! Sorry...ok, maybe not. *wink* Anyway, I applaud you for everything that you went through with a smile no doubt...you make your momma proud...and I know that because I read her comment...lol...

Anonymous said...

you are so gracious! are you sure you weren't born in the wrong century? :)