14 October 2006

I Heart Texas

I love living in Texas. I may have been born in Louisiana, but I feel like I came home when I came to Texas. I guess living so close to it all my life, it rubbed off on me.

One of the many things I love is that Texas knows how to run an event. Today we went to a charity event that my husband's company was participating in. In true Texas style, it was a barbeque cookoff. Yep, leave it to Texas to make a charity event out of brisket!

We bought a ticket, which almost all of the proceeds go to the charity (it was a scholarship). There were over 40 tents set up with people barbequeing chicken, ribs, brisket, and countless other things. I have to give a shout out to my Shreveport and New Iberia homies that made gumbo... yum! It was a truly fun time Texas-style, with an entire arena for family activities. There was bingo, face painting, airwalks (four of them!), caricature artists, balloon artists, and a kiddie rodeo. Yes, that's right. The kids got to ride bucking sheep and chase greased pigs. I am not joking. We didn't get to let Princess do it because it was full when we went to register. I'm sure she would've loved it. Notes for next year: get there early to register for kiddie rodeo and get entered as a judge for the ribs contest.

From what I hear, the set-up party is more fun than the actual event...

There's just something about the atmosphere at a Texas event like this that just makes me content and happy. I always have a good time. Reminds me of the Red River Revel (which I loved back in Louisiana), only with barbeque instead of mudbugs. I get that nostalgia anyway with the annual church crawfish boil, though.

So, I'm home. I smell like dirt and barbeque. And loving every minute.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I'm hungry