14 October 2007

Eggselent

In a rare bout of spontaneity, we decided to attend a jazz concert in Town Square on Friday night. So we hired a sitter to be in the house while the kids slept and headed down there. We stopped by Bakers Street Pub beforehand, and ordered a couple of Boddingtons on draft and some Scotch Eggs. If you've never had Scotch Eggs, you should have some. They're a hard-boiled egg encased in a thick layer of seasoned stuffing and sausage that's been fried. They then cut it in half, and serve it with a spicy mustard and some kind of relish (cranberry?) that's to die for. You spread the mustard and relish on thick, take a whopping bite, and wash it down with a good quality beer. No light beers, please. You need a full-bodied beer to appreciate this taste.

Well, we finished up and walked down to the Square. The time was 9:37, the band (we thought) was supposed to start at nine, so we figured we weren't missing much. As we walked up, they were packing up. After checking the website, we figured out that they started at 7, not 9. We had missed the entire thing.

This was disappointing. I think Bry was just going for kicks, but I really wanted to hear them. Music affects me differently than most people. I'm really emotional about it. I can get swept up in it, and it stirs things in me that most other things don't. I'm one of those people that bawl like a baby during worship on Sunday, because the songs mean so much to me. A song I can identify with is something very powerful in my life.

When we watch a movie, when it's over, I'll be the person that comments on the soundtrack. Bry's the one commenting on the cinematography, my ex-photographer husband. It's rather humorous. I don't care if the actors were brilliant and the cinematography was spectacular. If the music sucked, I won't like it. A lot of times my poor hubby doesn't even notice there was music. I try to explain to him about how music affects the mood of a movie, and how it wouldn't be as dramatic without those bows scraping across the violin strings, but he just smiles and nods, a lot like I do to him when he gets going about anything computer-related. We're about in the same boat. I can find my way around a computer enough to do what I need to get done, and he can pick out the theme from Star Wars on the keyboard with one finger. I figure we're about even.

In other news, Izzy's birthday party was quite a success, I think. Not a drop of cake left over. My waistline thanks you. Between the moonwalk and the tire swing, I'm sure most of the kids at the party passed out shortly after supper. I know mine did. Izzy got an array of girly gifts that she adored. She's spent most of the time playing with them since. Including painting her brother's nails pink and purple, and putting hot pink lipstick on him. And teaching him how to dress a Polly Pocket and style Barbie's hair. And between her new outfit and her new mermaid dress-up dress, I haven't had to worry about telling my little nudist to keep her clothes on, either. It's been a nice break.

We got her a new bike (which she broke in immediately) and a Betta, which she named Doc. He's blue with red tips on his fins and is very pretty. He's in a tank in her room, and she gets to feed him pre-measured amounts of food every other day. Mommy will be handling cleaning out the tank for now, until she's a bit older, but she's in charge of entertaining Doc while I do so. She talks to him, sets a tea cup in front of his tank and has tea with him, and more than once has told me that we needed to go home from running errands because Doc was scared.

We also had to... umm... *cough coug* let Mambo go... because he was... umm... not eating right. Yeah, that's it. Well, he got replaced at her party by a new Pac-man frog that she named Sumo. It's appropriate. he's all belly and teeny-tiny feet. He eats like a horse, and it's very entertaining to watch. Just pop in some crickets, and the kids are entertained for a half hour, watching the little blob of froggy lard hop around and catch crickets, then close his eyes in a moment of pleasure as he swallows them whole. He's all belly and eyes, and he's the cutest little thing! We haven't taken a picture of him yet, but here's a pic I found on the internet that looks like him:
GREENPACFROG

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Izzy! Number 5, right?