18 December 2007

Brownish-Greenish Christmas

If you dream of horse-drawn carriages
Dashing through the snow;
Before you move to Texas
There's something you should know ...

(Chorus)
That they don't have White Christmases in Houston.
I've lived here most my life and I should know.
I've prayed and I've pleaded for way too many years
But they just don't have White Christmases down here.

I've heard of winter carnivals in Aspen.
It looks just like a winter wonderland.
But remember while you're freezin' throughout this Christmas season
We'll be down here with Christmas cheer and flip-flops in the sand.
I've seen all those Christmas shows on TV.
Blankets of white powder; my, how grand!
But while you've got snow and holly, I'm feastin' on tamales;
Sittin' on my back porch with an iced tea in my hand.

(Chorus)

I laughed out loud when I heard this song.

And oh!!! How I connected with it today. It almost felt surreal to be packing sweaters for our trip when I had to change shirts today because it was too hot for a long-sleeved shirt.

On December 18th.

A week before Christmas.

Yep, no chance.

The one time it snowed for Christmas I was out of town. The weather reports on the radio keep saying there's a chance, but I think there's about a snowball's chance in H - E - double hockey sticks that it'll actually happen, especially since Weather.com says it'll be 69 degrees. And of course, you know that Weather.com knows everything. And they also say it'll be 57 degrees where I'm going, so I don't even know if I need to pack a jacket. Is there a point, really?

I have this beautiful suede long jacket lined with fuzzy fleece. It's so warm and makes me look like an Eskimo. And I get to wear it once a year. I don't even think I'll need it at all this year. But it's one of those things you just can't throw away because you know one day you'll go somewhere really cold (like anywhere north of the Mason Dixon right now) and wish you'd kept it. So it hangs forlornly in my front hall closet. Poor, lonely jacket. But hey, my denim jacket's seeing a lot of action lately. 'Cause I'm so southern that if it drops below 70 I'm freezing. Hardy har har. I wish I was joking.

Anyway, I'm rambling tonight. Looking forward to Trans-Siberian Orchestra on Friday (go Mom!), and spending Christmas relatively relaxed. Semi-stressing about getting 3-4 new students in January. I'm already so busy! But hey, you get what you ask for, right? I'm going to have to concentrate on that when I pray. Specifics, specifics, and semantics!!! I'm debating whether I want to spread them out or just have a couple of crazy days and the others be not-so-crazy. I mean, Monday's already shot. If I shoot Thursday in the foot, too, then I'll have Tuesday and Wednesday with only 1 or 2 students. I think I'm going to have to think, and I'm soooooo not in the mood for that right now.

I'm going to go wrap more Christmas presents now, because you definitely don't have to think to do that.


glitter-graphics.com

No comments: