27 December 2005

Merry Christmas with Dick and Jane

And yes, I'm not afraid of being sued for saying it.

Anyway, we had a nice, quiet Christmas at my mother-in-laws. It was just what the doctor ordered. Just family hanging out, no hullabaloo to give me a headache. It was my family, my mother- and father-in-law, my grandfather-in-law, and my sister-in-law. We were joined in the evening by my brother- and sister-in-law and my nephew. That's a lot of in-laws.

cdplayer

My husband got me an under-the-cabinet CD player for the kitchen. It's exactly what I wanted, which makes me happy, and it's a Sony, which makes him happy. :) I had looked at another one, and he refused to buy it because it didn't even list a brand name. He's probably right. It would probably break the day after the 30-day return threshold. There are some benefits to being a brand snob, I guess. We really enjoyed reading the instructions, too. Mainly because the thing was badly translated (I'm not supposed to use the remote on iron board while iron board is on) and they actually gave instructions on how to place the magnetic remote on your refrigerator. I kid you not. I'm so glad my husband and I read those instructions. Otherwise, we never would've figured out how to use that darn magnetic remote.

My husband got an egg poacher. Before you laugh, you have to understand that eggs benedict is our thing. My husband got intrigued by them when attending a breakfast with his buddies, and we've been recreating and improving on it ever since. We now use an English muffin, a poached egg, seasoned potatoes o'brien with diced ham mixed in, capers, and hollandaise sauce. It's incredible. We've decided just to make everything from scratch, since the only thing that we'd been making premade was the potatoes, and they never came out right. Yum.

We went and saw a movie on Christmas night after the kids went to bed. A little excursion for the adults!!! Well, for my husband, sister-in-law, and me, anyway. We saw Fun With Dick and Jane. We thought about Chronicles of Narnia, but we really would like to take my daughter to see that, too. The movie was good, but the previews are misleading. They've done that a lot recently. I was under the impression that Dick and Jane were criminals to begin with, not that they were good people driven to it. In that way it was disappointing. If I hadn't had that before impression I would have been thoroughly pleased with it. They managed to keep the cussing to a minimum, and there was no out-and-out sex scenes. I've noticed that movies have gotten more family-friendly and I highly approve. They're taking steps in the right direction! As much as I encourage artistic license, I really don't need to see any more naked men's butts.

But you know what I love about going to the movies? Just the experience. The movie could suck and I'd still have a good time. I like sitting with my husband in the dark, holding hands like we're just dating again. I love the big screen. I love movie popcorn with so much extra butter that your fingers have no fighting chance of staying clean.

So, today I'm off to save the world once again. I plan to do this by doing laundry and making tons of business phone calls. Wish me luck!!!

I just liked this picture so I thought I'd share it...

WalkingwithBaby

No comments: