02 November 2007

A day marked by intense errand-running followed by such exhaustion that I can't do anything except stare blankly at the computer screen. Thank God it's Friday.

All-Region tryouts are today and tomorrow, which means my first four days this week were spent teaching until my eyes crossed. I could probably play the All-Region music in my sleep now. At least we'll be picking solos next, and thank you God each student will have a different piece.

I found a small music store in Town Square that carries instrumental solo music, so I stocked up on saxophone solos. Bry winced as I dragged the books to the counter. What he probably doesn't know is that the few books I bought are a small shadow of the clarinet repertiore I own. It's a starting point, though. Not having access to "the list" means I'm guessing about what pieces will be on it. So I picked a few compilation books that held famous composers, thinking that surely at least some of these songs will be on "the list."

Being so busy teaching means that I haven't had time to practice my own instruments. Thus the phone call last night from Steph:

Hey, what are you doing?

Practicing piano.

You're practicing piano at 10:22 at night?

Ummm.... yeah. When else am I going to practice?

Such is the life. But this music store gave me a teacher discount. Ha! I'm still reeling at the fact that people think I'm qualified to do this. And now I'm getting a 20% discount on music and supplies. That is so beyond awesome.

It's the calm before the storm regarding the change I was talking about earlier. It's almost like we're sitting, patiently waiting for something to happen. We don't know what will happen, but we're waiting anyway. It's a weird merging of anticipation and boredom.

I do need some audience help here: homeschooling moms! I need tips for disciplining myself about doing homeschooling. I seem to let it fall by the wayside because I feel like I have to make a choice between having a house that I can walk through and homeschooling. Any organization or discipline techniques would be most appreciated. Thanks!

No comments: