01 May 2006

Not a Morning Person

This year has been one of self-realization. Well, not really. I've known these things, but now I have a place to post them and talk about them. It's like meeting a new person... it opens a new world of joy for you because the stories that are old and tired with your old friends have never been heard by your new friend. Suddenly, once again, you're funny and interesting.

So... with this in mind:
PNOTM

Hahaha!

Really, though, I'm not a morning person. I find myself grumpily rolling out of bed each morning way too early to two alarms with no snooze button. If I let myself have my way, I'm in my pajamas until after 9:00, even when I'm doing things. I feel like I could fall asleep again at any moment until about 10:00.

Mary Kay Ash truly was a smart woman. In her book Miracles Do Happen, she talks about being a "5 o'clock consultant." These women wake up at 5 AM every morning and get ready like they're going to go out. They then work until their families wake up and are extremely productive. She encourages all of her serious consultants to be 5 o'clockers. I know this works. When I wake up and immediately get in the shower, I feel refreshed and awake, even if I haven't had enough sleep. I can see how I'd be more productive if I'd just get in the shower as soon as I wake up, but there's no way it would be 5 AM. I'd have nothing I could reasonably do except paperwork. There isn't anyone I can call at 5 AM that wouldn't hire a hit man, save my friend in Thailand, where it would be 5 PM, but that would be a personal call, not a business call.

I even considered beginning to run again, like I did in college for my Phys Ed class. Ha! Yeah, me running. I had it all worked out, though. I was going to wake up with my husband and go running while he got ready for work, so someone would be in the house with the kids. I've tried running during the day, but the kids can only take about 10 minutes of it before they're climbing out of the stroller while I'm running. And it's too hot here. It would have to be early. Plus, I know myself well enough to admit that I'd do it for one day and not have the motivation to do it again. And then I'd have bought all the nice running gear that would never be used but couldn't be returned because I'd worn it once and sweated in it. So I figure I'm saving myself lots of money by using this self-realization.

I'd like to exercise but I can't afford the gym or a treadmill. The treadmill is definitely something I would use, though. I've always loved running on them for some reason. Running in an air-conditioned environment? Yeah, I'm spoiled. I guess I'll just have to wait until I'm a rich and famous Executive Director, and then I'll join a gym.

It's 9:53, I'm being especially lazy this morning, so I guess I'll go change out of my pajamas now.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

One of my roommates in college had trouble getting up in the morning so he would tape his alarm clock directly above the ceiling fan. That forced him to get out of bed and wait for the fan to slow down before he could turn the alarm off. By that time he was awake and standing up.

lisa said...

I wish I wasn't a morning person. I can't sleep in even if I try. It made life miserable for me as a kid (especially as a teenager) when I would spend the night with a friend.

Library Goddess said...

I've never been a morning person, either. I even shower in the dark! I guess you inherited that trait from you-know-who...Besides, if you showed at 5 a.m. your kids would be right in there with you, and you would end up getting nothing done anyway...right?

Bridget M. said...

Evening persons are required to keep the party going when all of us morning people are starting to fade away. Thank you for being in your jammies late. I feel better now!