22 November 2005

Surprise!!!

IMG_1424

I have to brag a little bit...

November 18th marked my hubby's 31st birthday. And the first time I think I've ever really surprised him! I can't take full credit. I know that if he didn't have so much on his mind he would've figured it out long before the party took place. But God favored this surprise for him!

I sent out hand-made invitations beforehand. I was doing an Asian theme, so the invitations were on black cardstock with a white strip of paper on a red mat that had the Chinese characters for tranquility, wisdom, and harmony on the front in a vertical line. The inside had a red Chinese lantern photograph faded into the background with the information about the surprise party printed over it. Oh, and all of the things like Date, Time, Place, etc were all in Chinese characters. There was a line of Chinese characters on the bottom that said "God bless you and your family."

Just so you know, I don't know Chinese. Thank God for dictionary.com.

I decorated the table with a black tablecloth, and red serving platters. I had chopsticks set out. I made from scratch the menu, which consisted of wonton soup, cashew chicken over rice, eggrolls, apricot beef, and ginger beans and snap peas. It was quite a spread, and everybody loved everything. I was trying to pick things that would probably be universally edible. For desert, we had the birthday cake (see picture below) that had "Happy Birthday" in Chinese on it. It was french vanilla cake with homemade vanilla icing. I also served strawberry and chocolate Pockys. Pockys are so cool.

IMG_1474

We also had live music, thanks to our good friend Gib. As a birthday present, he played music for the party on his guitar. He even took requests. He is so cool.

IMG_1485

And, of course, let's not forget the party favors... complements of PF Changs (THANK YOU). They sold me the boxes when I couldn't find them anywhere else but the internet. And I didn't have two weeks to wait for them. I stamped them, then filled them with a fortune cookie, a cinnamon stick, a bag of chai tea, and a pair of chopsticks. Chopsticks are so cool.

IMG_1465

I am such a good wife. I've been patting myself on the back all week. I even bought my hubby a lasertag set for his birthday, instead of something practical. I am so cool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I have to admit; you ARE really cool. The very next day of your husband's birthday was my husband's birthday party, ALSO a surprise! (Great minds think alike.) HOWEVER, I'm afraid my party was not nearly as cool as yours.....Dang it! So you should feel really good about yourself; if there was such a thing as good wife wars (which there actually is subconsciously) you are the WINNER!! Congratulations! :p

Jen said...

A thoughtful wife are you! Teach me you must!

Unknown said...

POCKY!