06 November 2005

Weddings, yay!!!

Last night my husband and I went to the wedding of our friends Jack and Sarah. Well, I went, my husband was the best man, and my daughter was the ring bearer/flower girl at the tender age of three.

I was really worried about this, because for any of you who don't know my daughter, walking in a straight line and following directions are not her strong points. But she was absolutely intrigued by the "princess dress" she got to wear, along with her "crown" (a circlet of berries with a bow in the back, fitting the autumn theme). She told me she was Belle. If she had to pick a Disney princess, Belle would certainly be the one she looked like, considering the off-the-shoulder gold-tone dress with poofy skirt. I guess that's what kept her in line. I'm going to file that one away for later.

The wedding was absolutely gorgeous, and the ceremony itself went off without a hitch. The bride was stunning, nobody gave any reasons why they shouldn't be married... That's a good wedding if you ask me.

The reception was absolutely unbeatable, held in Sarah's parents' house. A full dinner was catered, and there were even alcoholic drinks (yay for pineapple juice with a kick!). The problem with this is that the "kids" (teenagers) could drink if their parents gave them permission. I didn't think this was a bad idea until some of the teenage girls started fighting. It just reminded me of how unstable I was as a teenager (and I was more stable than most). Adding alcohol to that mix is not a good idea. There's a good reason that the legal drinking age is 21. At that age, the hormones are raging, they haven't learned to take things anything but personally, they haven't learned respect for others, they haven't learned respect for themselves, and they're sometimes downright vicious. And then they want to add things like nicotine and alcohol to the mix. Yeah, great idea.

Moral of the story: When your teen asks if it's okay if they have a drink, tell them NO. Unless you're in your house and your house happens to have padded walls and all the breakables have been removed.

Congratulations, Jack and Sarah, and God bless your marriage!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ah, the joys of underage drinking at a wedding. I was WELL into adulthood before I could have a drink around my parents.