30 January 2006

A Bug's Life

bugdreamsclip
I've decided to start walking every day with the kids. It's fun for them and exercise for me. Good all around. I'm also considering getting a physical and asking the doctor how many calories I should be consuming every day and actually beginning to track them.
But I digress. I have a habit of doing that.
So I decided this morning that I would take my hubby's dry cleaning to the store by walking it there instead of driving it there. I get my exercise, the kids get out of the house, the dry cleaning gets in before 9 so it's out by 5... all the good things in life.
I decided to take another couple of blocks on the way home to extend our walk. While I was pondering the meaning of life as many people do when they're walking aimlessly through their neighborhood, I began thinking about ants. Do they get really annoyed when someone knocks over their pile of dirt, or are they just in a frenzy to rebuild it? Do they even care? Or are they just like, "Well, Sam, it looks like we're gonna hafta rebuild that second hill again. The queen's not going to be happy. You know how pregnant women are." Imagine if they had news reporters:
"This is Ant Antly with a flash news report. Tragedy struck today as the Sidewalk Ridge Apartments were crushed by a passing stroller. 27 were pronounced dead at the scene, while hundreds of others are injured. The Hill Council is immediately planning a relocation for all survivors to the Tunnel Condos, while busy workers are scouring the ruins for more survivors."
Such is a bug's life, I guess.

2 comments:

Bridget M. said...

walking is great for thinking. I love how your brain works-tunnel condos! LOL

HiveRadical said...

Ever read "Ender's Game" or "Speaker for the Dead."

The whole concept of ants taking a similar view to us reminded me of the alien species in those books.