29 January 2006

Harmony

beethoven_200

I have always wanted to sing. The funny thing is, I've never wanted to be a soloist. I've always wanted to be the harmony.

I realized that today while in worship. I told God that I really wanted to sing harmony on his praise songs, and I didn't know how. All I wanted was to make the music I sang beautiful to His ears so that it might be a worthy offering. It was then that I felt the Holy Spirit, and I got the very clear message that God was very happy with what I offered Him, because what I offered Him was everything I had, and it was given in love. And for the first time, I could harmonize with the music without having to learn the part and practice it. I knew it was a gift God had given me, a "red balloon."* I felt fulfilled.

It also gave me a deeper realization, though. Harmony in music is just the beginning. While I love getting attention, I don't like being in the spotlight. It almost embarrasses me. Like the harmonizing vocalist, I enjoy adding that extra layer, giving the music (or whatever it happens to be) depth and beauty. I think that's why I can successfully teach Crown Financial Ministries, because the way the class is set up is for it to be interactive, not a lecture with me at the helm. I think that's why I can successfully sell and recruit in Mary Kay... it's not about me selling and recruiting, but finding a niche for every woman I meet to fulfill HER needs. While I want to be someone who gets things done and makes things happen, I don't want it to be about ME. And it's even more special when it's all about GOD.

* The red balloon reference is taken from a MOPS daily radio devotional. The story was about how God loves us as individuals, with all of our quirks, cares about the little things in our lives, and wants to grant us the little things we want. The mother in the story retrieved a red balloon for her daughter that really brightened her daughter's day. In such a way, God wants to see us happy.

2 comments:

Jen said...

"The story was about how God loves us as individuals, with all of our quirks, cares about the little things in our lives, and wants to grant us the little things we want."

Thanks I needed that. Sometimes I think I drive Him crazy with piddly things.

lisa said...

Nice blog. Thanks for the encouraging words! It is an amazing blessing to get to pour into today's teens and watch them grow.